Friday, May 20, 2011

A Challenge to SAVE!

In light of the new TLC show Extreme Couponing and my own frugal background/ upbringing, I am going to attempt a unique challenge that will last the remainder of the 2011 calendar year.

I will endeavor to save my family $1,000 by December 31, 2011 through coupons, special offers, rebates, etc. Normal price reductions at the store DO NOT count. There must be an element of effort on my part. :)

Let the fun begin with last night's conquest and the inspiration for this challenge. How it went down...

Store: Babies R Us
Quest: Buy diapers and wipes for our little Ryleigh

Purchases:
216 ct. wipe refill $6.99
60 ct. Little Snugglers $17.99
60 ct. Little Sugglers $17.99
30 ct. Pure & natural $11.99
30 ct. Pure & natural $11.99
72 ct. wipes $2.99
Temporal Thermometer $49.99

Savings:
Buy 2 Pure & natural get $5 off
Spend $65 on wipes and diapers get $15 off
$0.75 wipes coupon
$2 wipes coupon
$2.50 diaper coupon
$2.50 diaper coupon
$3 diaper coupon
$3 diaper coupon
50% off thermometer coupon - $25 off
$5 mail-in rebate on thermometer

TOTAL SAVINGS: $63.75

GRAND TOTAL SAVINGS TO DATE: $63.75

Progress: 6.375% towards my goal

Isn't that cool! Especially since my total before tax was $61.18 - I saved more than half off my entire purchase. And, since I used my rewards card, the savings will continue to pile up. The final kicker is that I had a gift card - so really, all this loot cost us nothing! But, I won't count that in the savings... :)

No comments: