Friday, January 22, 2010

Dum-De-Dum-Duh...

In true keeping with my 101 in 1001, I am posting my obligatory post per week. But don't worry friends, I'll think of something.

Maybe like the fact that I am proud beyond recognition of my kids and their gigantic hearts. With all the devastation in Haiti, they were first to ask what we were going to do about it. In 3 days, my students brought in $86.97. By. them. selves. 30 kids brought their pennies, nickels, quarters, and dimes to help people they will never know. Did they expect a reward or prize? No. They just wanted to do a good job and help people in need. What a lesson! And I thought I was the teacher...

*hmmmmm*

Now, on to a jewel I have been sharing with anyone and everyone who will listen. This week's reading textbook has the kids learning about proverbs, sayings, and fables. So, out of curiosity, I gave my kids a quiz where they were to finish the saying the best they could. Here are some yummy little morsels they thought up:

· You shouldn’t throw stones.....at your home.
· The early bird.....wakes you up.
· A picture is worth.....every penny.
· The grass is always greener.....than a tree.
· The bigger they are.....the smaller they look.
· You shouldn’t throw stones...that are shaped like a rock.
· A stitch in time.....could hurt a little.
· Curiosity killed.....a dog in the street.
· You shouldn’t throw stones.....or it makes it worst.
· Curiosity killed.....who’s curious.
· An apple a day.....is a good taste.
· Don’t count your chickens.....right now.
· The early bird.....is late.
· A picture is worth.....10 dollars.
· Silence is.....the 3rd rule. (think BRAVO - our class rules: Voices off when others speak - maybe we need to work on counting next since "V" is actually the 4th rule... all well, you can't win them all!).
· Don’t count your chickens.....if you are going to play with them.
· The early bird.....was so tired.
· Curiosity killed......a lot of people.
· The grass is always.....greener than dirt.
· A bird in the hand.....makes you bored.
· The early bird.....woke me up.
· The bigger they are.....the badder they hurt.
· The grass is always greener.....because we always water it.

And the story of the day is...

*drumroll please*

(keep in mind that I am a Dual Language/Bilingual teacher)

(as in I teach Bilingual students)

(as in students who speak more than one - usually 2 since the prefix "bi" means two)

(so it stand to reason that I might be open-minded and culturally sensitive)

At recess today I sat down (as I normally do) on the teacher's bench. There happened to be a student sitting on the bench as well reading a small book. Now, normally students are not allowed to sit on the teacher's bench, but I was in a good mood so I decided to strike up a conversation with said Reader.

Me: What are you reading?

Reader: The Koran

Me: Oh, cool... What language is that? (I knew, of course, but remember I am trying to talk with this student who is not one of my own)

Reader: Arabic.

Me: Wow! That is so awesome that you are Bilingual!

Reader: *looks at me as if I have lost my marbles and then says in the most even voice a child is capable of* No, I'm Muslim.

*head in my hands*

*metaphorically of course as I can't act distressed in front of the children*

I think I need a good strong Aleve and a nice long bubble bath followed by a nap.

No comments: