Yes, my title is half English and half Spanish. No, I'm not trying to be multicultural, this is my job. For some strange reason last year when it came down to move my classroom or become a Dual Language teacher, I chose DL. What I didn't know was that it literally entailed splitting myself into two self-sustaining and entirely independent teachers! As crazy as it sounds, I am living a double life. My words, actions, lessons, musings, and mutterings now affect two groups of adolescents. I am super teacher! Ultra Educator! Well, at least I hope to be, because even though it is easier with a year of experience under my belt (an expression that effectively holds zero meaning for me, a non-belt-wearer) the experiences and the needs and the events of this year are drastically different.
Starting from the very first day of school I have had to repeat, reiterate, and rephrase everything for children who struggle with the English language. Add to that the fact that I know essentially NO Spanish and we have for an interesting year to say the least.
I do think I am starting to get a handle on things now. But, things still pop up that must be dealt with - what if we start a chapter book read-a-loud? the other teacher has to finish it. What if we do not have time to finish an assignment before we switch classes? HOMEWORK! What happens if our two sets of identical twins decide to switch classes? Pray that NEVER happens or I QUIT!
No comments:
Post a Comment